Franklyn Alexander, DDS
In the Press
- America’s Top Dentists: 2003-2016
- Consumer Research Council of America’s Top Dentists: 2009-2016
- Arlington Citizen Journal Top Dentist: 2013
- Texas Monthly Super Dentist: 2006-2009
- Team dentist for Texas Rangers, since 2005.
- Team dentist for Women’s National Basketball Association Dallas Wings, since 2017
- Graduated Valedictorian from Baird High School in 1969
- Graduated from UT Austin in 1973 with a BA in Microbiology
- Graduated from Baylor College of Dentistry in 1976
- Continuing Education: Over 3500 hours of advanced courses on such topics as laser dentistry, cosmetic enhancement, non-surgical gum care, reconstructive dentistry and nutrition.
FYI: While in College I worked as the campus representative for Schlitz beer. I sold beer to fraternities and sororities for parties. It was the best job in Austin!
FYI: In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, I became a continuing education junkie. I realized early “that you don’t know what you don’t know.” I would attend hundreds of hours of dental and financial continuing education every year as my funds held out. My wife always wondered in the early years of our marriage why we did not have any money. I have continued that tradition and take numerous continuing education classes each year. I doubt there is a dental professional in Arlington that has surpassed me in continuing education hours!
- Fellow: Academy of General Dentistry & Academy of Dentistry International
- Member American Dental Association
- Member Texas Dental Association
I Married Jane Ann Mayfield in 1976 (her family members were early pioneers in Arlington: Collins street in Arlington and Mayfield Road were named after them).
I also became interested in travel and photography in the early years of going to different dental and financial meetings. I have been fortunate enough to travel all over the world to more than 30 countries. I still have a lot to visit and experience. People all over the world are friendly and love Americans (up until very recently, but that is another story).
FYI: Some of my trips were probably not very smart (like traveling with a driver, cook and interpreter in the Himalayan Mountains in Pakistan and crossing over into China, just before Desert Storm).
In the 1980’s I served on the Big Brother and Big Sister Board in Arlington. I started out as a Big Brother, as I wanted to help in the Big Brother mentor role for a single parent child, as I knew the need for this. My father died when I was 11, and I knew first hand how much adult males meant to me as I grew up. I later became a board member because I had first hand experience at what a wonderful program it was and the voids in children’s lives that we attempted to fill.
I have always been a very big believer in the value of education. I decided since I lived in Arlington, I needed to be involved at the local college level. So, I became a Development Board Member at UT Arlington.
I decided a few years back to start endowing scholarships at universities. First, I endowed one at UT Austin of course. I then endowed a scholarship at UT Arlington. I plan on continuing to fund college needs that are a fit for me at both of these fine institutions. We have followed up with graduate fellowships and postdoctoral fellowships. We recently became “Founders” of Dell Medical School in Austin and endowed a scholarship at the new medical school.
I have also enjoyed serving on the Chancellor’s Council for the University of Texas System. I have really enjoyed learning about the outstanding University of Texas System and all the component institutions in the system.
FYI: Both of my scholarships have been directed at helping the kids that come from small communities in Texas (like I did) to have a source for scholarship funds.
- UTA Distinguished Honorary Alumni 2017
- Chancellors Executive Committee for the UT System since 2008 (Past Chairman 2014-2015)
- University of Texas College of Natural Sciences Advisory Council since 2012
- UTA Presidential Advisory Board since 2002
- Arlington Tomorrow Foundation
Dentistry & Health Updates
I wanted to provide my patients with the most current information related to dentistry and health. Check out our blog to get useful tips and to learn more about how to improve your health or enhance your smile!